Earlier on in this year I started to assess what I actually wanted from my business.
Running a business online had come pretty easily – I just didn’t find it difficult to tell personal stories and I know how to write and sell (key)! and I wasn’t afraid to invest in certain things (coaching, a kick ass ads guru, time into my education, experimentation)
BUT I’d got to that point where I looked around and wondered what actually mattered now that that bit was ‘done’ (I mean it’s never done, but you know)!
It was about three things
1) Words. Words and books are my everything. When I was a kid when my mum used to tell me to go outside and play ‘like all the normal kids’ but I was having far too much fun in my fictional lands in my books instead and then later in my teens in mindset and self help books
2) Uplifting women I think are awesome. I’m not a mass popularity contest kind of person- I just want to work directly with a smallish group of brilliant women who are basically, me to some degree 😆 and who just need that extra push of someone who can show them how awesome they are.
3) Causes. I work because I want a radical life and because I can’t NOT live this way, since I moved to Japan by myself aged 19, it’s ALWAYS been there and if you’ve got that wild and slightly rebellious streak you’ll know exactly what I mean – but apart from the lifestyle;
I wondered what I actually cared about, and what I was working for.
And I truly do care about causes. As a kid I campaigned against cruelty to animals, I’d constantly bring home leaflets about animal testing on monkeys for my family to read!! Joined Amnesty and wanted to be a war correspondent focussing on families during my degree courses in photography / journalism. Being able to instigate change in some way is a BIG part of who I am.
I’m still working on that part – and plan to do a lot more with the support of Kathleen Ventura who is incredible at helping entrepreneurs support causes they’re passionate about-
But today was pretty much a highlight for me, when I / my copywriting agency got hired to ghostwrite
A VEGAN COOKBOOK
Honestly. It was one of those – what? moments where you realise that – and I don’t even know why I’m surprised any more because I set my intentions for this at the start of the year in my journal –
when you realise you get paid not just to do what you love, but to champion causes you’re passionate about.
I’m not a vegan (Yet) but have been vegetarian since I was 8, and my kids are too, and I passionately believe that the vegetarian / vegan lifestyle is key to helping our planet heal.
Writing a vegan cookbook might not be ‘the millionaire lifestyle’ dream you’ll see pimped out online (including in my own photos here from this gorgeous island, lol) but I’ve had both and for me, it’s just as sweet a moment
What is it you actually want?! Why do you do what you do in the first place??
– Get truly intentional about what you want and why you want it
– Set your intention for how you want that to unfold
– Whenever things get crazy or you feel disconnected, always bring it back to that thing it’s about, has always been about for you.
– To get what you truly want? Sure, you might have to quit Netflix, or scrolling, or other habits that you know aren’t serving you. You MIGHT have to put on your grown up pants and make tough decisions, often ones which involve short term ‘loss’ (though that’s a choice of how you want to view something). But what is it that you stand to GAIN as a result?
What is it that the entire WORLD has to gain, as a result of you following through on what you truly desire?
The reality is most people will never give up or strip away the comfort blanket in order to follow what they truly desire and wonder how everyone else seems to do what they never could.
Sometimes we just need to strip everything away and remind ourselves of what matters to us most.